Monday, October 23, 2017

Show Time!

Hi, today’s class is closed. And I kinda hate that. If you know what I mean.

Last night, I promised myself, if the lecturers announce that the class will be closed, I will post something to this blog. And they did.

If you see my tweet almost a week ago, I tweeted something that I will be performing some performances in auditorium. Yes, after all this time, I finally faced the stage again. Not really stage. I wished that it would be on stage, but they put me on the corner of the room. What kind of performance? No, it’s not dance, but it’s a musical performance. Yessss, I was playing the piano again on a show.

You know the feeling right, when you finally do your passion again after so long? Wait, it was not piano. Well, I was a bit disappointed. Why? The committee said that the baby grand piano could be used on the final day, but the fact hmmm. I mean, if they at least say they cannot guarantee… hhmmm just forget it. At the end, I finally used the digital piano of the choir organization. It was Yamaha DGX, but I forgot the number of the DGX. The problem did not stop there. There was a problem with the external sustain pedal which made me had to play without the sound of sustain. But, thank God, the reverb covered the unsustained sound. The size of the keys was also a problem. It does not have graded hammer system. But overall, I like the sound of that digital piano. It has very touchable sound. I mean, yes, the bass is more dominated than the treble.

So, what song did I play? Yes, still the gorgeous song from Yiruma. It was River Flows In You. Why did I play that? You know, as the first performance of mine in my college, I just wanna impress everybody in that room with my playing even though I play it everyday, and many of you maybe get bored because I do not have any new song. Another thing was, I thought that that song is famous enough for everybody in that room-even the lecturers, so I would not leave everyone wondering with my playing like “whose song is this? What’s the title?” and so on. Another reason is, because I already mastered its chords hehehe… not to boast, but I just wanted to avoid the forgetfulness during my play. You know, that four-chord-changing is already out of my brain hehehe…

The second song was My Love by Westlife as usual, and the last was a song from the local artist of my country. But the last song, I did not sing it. I just accompanied my friend to sing it. That was not a performance that I expected, because I expected more. I did not know why, but I think they should have done it better on the sound system, so my friend and I could shake that audience with our performance. By the way, I feel honored, because the lecturer asked me to accompany them singing a song. The song was Let It Be by The Beatles. The feeling when the audience sang along with you and the lecturers was something! I've never experienced it. I think I got goosebumps at that time.

I still cannot give you the video of me playing that, because the committees have not shared it yet. But I just found out a picture of me which has so-annoying face, and I think awkward.

credit to the committee

My hope for the next performance is, at least the committee will say if they cannot provide the instrument, I will find out how to bring mine to the college. I believe I and my friend can do better than this one. And I hope, I can give another performance again with my friend on the next event. Wait, I wish that Annual Awards of the Faculty will be held this year, and I wish we can be there again! It is not about the pride, but it is about the feeling when I am in a backstage waiting for my turn to perform. It is never any other!

No comments:

Post a Comment